Osceola Rod & Gun Club 22 Rimfire Benchrest League
(this is the final draft of the rules decided at the May shooters meeting – Sunday, May 16th.
2022 League shooting will start – June 6th!
Scores from 2021 – Rimfire League master
22 Rimfire Benchrest is a fun, challenging and technical sport shot with scoped or iron sight 22 rimfire rifles. As the name implies, competitors fire from a bench with the front of their rifle supported either by a bipod or a front rest/bag (shooters must support the rear of the rifle themselves – no bag or monopod). Each week league participants will shoot a target containing 25 individual targets at 50 yards.
To make competition as fair as possible and to include as many shooters as possible, the league will encompass a wide range of equipment and age divisions. Opportunities to compete will be provided for everyone from the novice to the expert. This is a club member league and mostly for fun and skills development . . . shooters do not need to shoot every week – they may shoot a few weeks just for fun and skill development. Our first year we will award as many trophies as possible in five different equipment classes and four age divisions.
- Age divisions will be: Youth (13 and younger), Teen (14 – 17), Adult (18-65), Super Senior (66 and older).
- There are five rifle classes: Unlimited, Sporter and Factory. All rifles must be chambered for 22 rimfire. Sporter & Factory classes will include two additional classes with iron-sight rifles. Bolt and Semiautomatic rifles will be legal in all classes.
Unlimited Class is an “anything goes” class for high end production rimfires and custom 22LR Benchrest rifles. There is no limit on scopes – they may more than 20 power. There is no max weight limit, but rail guns are not permitted. Examples of production rifles that are included in Unlimited would-be Anschutz actioned rifles including the 2013, Kimber 82, Remington 40X, Suhl 150, Walther KK200 and KK300. Within the guidelines listed, there are no limits on modifications other than safe operation. Stocks, barrels and triggers may be adjusted, modified or replaced with custom items. All rifles that have been customized are included in Unlimited . . . some are rifles built on custom actions such as the Turbo, Hall, Swindlehurst, X-III, Stiller, etc. Any custom barrels – makers include Benchmark, Lilja, Shilen, etc. Any rifles with custom triggers are in this class. Semi-automatic rifles ARE permitted.
Sporter will be for Premium Factory rifles ($1000.00 msrp & up) with no modifications allowed. The factory trigger is required but it may be adjustable. Any fixed or variable power scope may be used up to 20 power. Barrel tuners, or bloop tubes are NOT permitted in Sporter Class (simple rubber mid-barrel dampers are permitted). Semi-automatic rifles ARE permitted. Bipods may be the standard hunting style folding bipods, such as the Harris line or something similar. Rifles weight with scope must be less than 13lbs.
Factory will be for factory actioned rifles shooting the 22LR cartridge (under $1000.00 msrp). No rifle modifications are allowed in this class (adjustable peep sights are allowed). Any fixed or variable power scope may be used. Any fixed or variable power scope may be used up to 20 power. Semi-automatic rifles ARE permitted. Bipods may be the standard hunting style folding bipods, such as the Harris line or something similar. Rifle weight with scope must be less than 10 lbs.
Iron Sights will shoot targets at 25 yds! NEW CLASS
Any rifle exhibiting unsafe behavior or malfunctions will be removed from the firing line. Ammunition may not be modified in any way.
Course of Fire Details, Eligibility & Season Dates
- Shooters must be club members.
- 25 shots for record at 50 yards within 30 minutes, from the bench at each target sheet.
- Three warm-up targets can be shot each week.
- One shot per target is permitted. Shooters will record their start and end times on the target (time starts after warm-up shoots are finished).
- The target is an official USBR target – available at the clubhouse weekly for $5/week or all at once 11 for $50.
- Participants may shoot any day (9 am to dusk) except Tuesdays and Wednesdays during Trap and Archery League shooting (4 pm to dusk).
- Scoring is “on-your-honor”. Targets need to be dropped off at the clubhouse within a week of shooting by 5 p.m. Sunday. League secretary will keep track and publish scores on the clubs’ website.
- All targets must be shot at the club from the rifle benches to either of the 50 yard target stands. Shooters may bring their own target backboard to attach to the clubs 50 yard target stands (with clamps – not screws).
- Participants will shoot 10 times from June 1st to August 22nd. No targets will be accepted after August 22.
- The highest scoring 5 shooters in each division and class will participate in the “Trophy Shoot-off” rounds August 24th to Sept 4th with RO Supervision.
- Shooting ahead (3-week max) will be allowed from league start June 1st to Aug 22nd. Shooters may shoot from behind only during June.
Rimfire Benchrest is a “for score” league. Each week league participants will shoot a target with 25 individual targets at 50 yards. One shot per target is allowed. The 25 targets are shot within 30 minutes. Sighting/warm-up shots are taken as needed.
The targets have progressively larger scoring rings with the smallest being the “X Ring” and each larger ring worth one point less; 10, 9, 8, 7, etc. A perfect numerical score would be 250 points.
- If a bullet hole touches a line or dot on the target bull, shooter receives the highest point. Inner most ring counts as ten points, and each succeeding ring counts one point less. Outer most ring counts as 3 points. The dot in the middle of the inner most ring counts as an X (10 points) and total X’s are used to break ties. The image below shows proper scoring.
- If more than one shot appears in target square, shooter receives lowest score minus one (1) point.
- If a shot intended for a sighter (warm-up) crosses into a record target, it will be scored as a record shot minus one (1) point.
- Perfect score: 250 and 25X’s.